Sunday, February 15, 2009

When You Can't Quilt...

I think I figured it out: don't use Molly (my big sewing machine) when I'm migraining. I think the constant noise is too much. So today, I knitted. Here's the dish towel. I love that the color name is Pink Panther. Too cute!And I baked. Although when I had all the rest of the ingredients ready to go, I realized that I had less than half of the right amount of yeast. So I gave it a lot of time to rise and an extra knead. It came out good, if a little short. And I knitted some more. The pattern is the Koolhaas Hat. (I'm calling it the Koolhaat.) The problem that I found is that the gauge is based on the lattice pattern knitted in the round. I've been trying to be a good little knitter and knit up a guage swatch to make sure I'm using the right needles, but (Rant Alert!) how can you get an accurate sample of this booger if you knit it flat? And how would you do that anyway since the chart is written in the round? Here's what I think: I think that any pattern with a guage specific to the pattern has a lazy designer! (Hmph!) I don't think it's possible to make a swatch for this despite the ingenious circular-to-flat method Katy showed me. It won't work because the pattern is written one way. (Well, maybe it would work for Katy.)
So I decided to skip it. I checked numerous projects based on this pattern on Ravelry and, from other knitters' notes, it seems that, if I knit according to the pattern, it should be fine. And I did a tiny bit of beadwork. After receiving some beaded stitch markers with my Sense and Sensibility yarn and examining 'em, I knew how to duplicate them. So I pulled out my wire and tools and beads and made two. Just two, though. Let's not get carried away.Didn't do much else, though.

No comments: